We Love the Creation We Know

The author's childhood backyard in winter.

[Ed. note: this article is part of our weekly series of reflections called Deep Down Things, published on Wednesdays.] by Kendra Langdon Juskus I grew up in a beautiful place. Not even an hour from New York City, my parents’ house rested … [Read more...]

Norman Wirzba on Wendell Berry’s “The Gift of Good Land”

Today’s response to Wendell Berry’s essay “The Gift of Good Land” comes from Norman Wirzba, a friend of Wendell Berry's whose writing and teaching explores the intersection of faith, ecology, and agrarian and environmental studies. “The … [Read more...]

Flourish Book Review: Everyday Justice by Julie Clawson

everyday-justice-clawsoncover

Reviewed by Tracey Bianchi Flourish Magazine, Fall 2009 I had a conversation recently with two friends, both women serving the urban poor in Chicago, who shared different views on the impact of their work. One, exasperated, slapped her palm on … [Read more...]

Sprouts: Items of interest springing up in the creation care community

margaret-feinberg-bee

Flourish Magazine, Fall 2009 Items of interest springing up around the creation care community 5 Questions For: Margaret Feinberg Margaret Feinberg, recently named by Charisma magazine as one of the "30 Emerging Voices" who will help lead the … [Read more...]

Church Life Blossoms Through Creation Care

Merry Christmas from Flourish! We’re taking time to celebrate the birth of Jesus, the "firstborn over all creation," so in lieu of our regular "Cultivating Community" post, we invite you to enjoy these examples of churches engaging God's … [Read more...]

Don’t Walk Alone: Doing walkability audits as a church community

Why did the children cross the road? Because they could! www.pedbikeimages.org / Dan Burden

What is the closest shop to your church? Or place to eat lunch? The nearest residential street? School? Can you walk to these places after leaving a Sunday service? Can the church staff walk to any significant destinations during the week? Does it … [Read more...]

Urbana Conference Highlights Creation Care

urbana-conference-creation-care

Urbana is five days of inspiring speakers and extraordinary stories. It's 20,000 missions-minded brothers and sisters learning and talking and worshiping together. It's full of opportunities to discern vocations with thoughtful mentors. And this … [Read more...]

Make Scottish Shortbread – to Give or Enjoy With Family

Scottish shortbread makes a great gifts

by Joanna Pritchard [Ed. note: this article is part of our series of weekly family activities called Family Fun, published on Fridays.] There’s some part of any baking recipe that children of any age can really get into, in addition to … [Read more...]

Live Well Where You Live

You can stay put sustainably.

By Tracey Bianchi [Ed. note: this article is part of our series of weekly reflections called Deep Down Things, published on Wednesdays] Last year I borrowed a copy of Doug Fine’s book Farewell My Subaru: An Epic Adventure In Local Living. … [Read more...]

Ditch the Stores and Get Outdoors!

Winter-walk-kids-and-nature.jpg

by Joanna Pritchard [Ed. note: this article is part of our series of weekly family activities called Family Fun, published on Fridays] Winter may be around the corner, but there’s no need to hibernate. Fall and winter landscapes have … [Read more...]

Ecotourism guide: Creation care on the road

Have you ever vacationed on an idyllic Caribbean island and discovered that behind its beautiful beaches was a local population suffering from hunger, poverty, and disease? Or have you labored for a week of building churches and running VBS in a … [Read more...]

Weekly Church Activity: Giving thanks for all creation

CC Image courtesy riptheskull on Flickr

Earth Day, April 22, has turned into a modern secular holiday, but it is often ignored by churches. However, Thanksgiving is a more natural time for Christians to give thanks and praise to God for his creation. We thank God not just for food, family, … [Read more...]

Flourish Interview: Margaret Feinberg, Part One

margaret-feinberg-scouting-divine-1

Margaret Feinberg is the author more than two dozen books and Bible studies, a regular speaker at national conferences like Catalyst and CreationFest, and one of Charisma Magazine's "30 Emerging voices" who will help lead the church in the next … [Read more...]

Livability, Walkability, and Environmental Justice

Flourish was at the annual Christian Community Development Association Conference (CCDA) in Cincinnati, on Saturday, October 24, where I gave a presentation called "Green-the-Hood: Livability, Walkability, and Environmental Justice." It's adapted … [Read more...]